At Alchemist Community Development Corporation (Alchemist CDC), we have a track record of co-creating gathering spaces with residents where community is formed. The River District is presently undergoing a major transition from an industrial hub to a corridor newly featuring housing and commercial destinations. With major housing projects in development in Mirasol Village, Township 9, and the neighboring Railyards, this part of Sacramento is about to experience a dramatic population boom. These new residents will have to find ways to form neighborhood communities and develop the culture of their place.
Alchemist Public Market will serve these new residents as a hub and heart for the community, providing a place to gather, run into neighbors, and meet up with friends. The project will include:
- An inviting outdoor food court with options from 8 food pods, a beer and wine kiosk, a children’s play area, and a pleasant shaded seating area.
- A vibrant weekly farmers’ market that includes CalFresh access and Market Match for low-income customers.
- A retail store featuring food and goods produced by small local entrepreneurs as well as basic grocery staples.
- A full-service café, including baked goods and on-site local beer and wine service, with an attractive patio.
- Co-working office space and conference room rental available for start-ups, non-profits, businesses, and community groups.
- A festive atmosphere with regular night markets, family nights, movie nights, holiday programming, and more.